How my writing has improved

The biggest challenge I faced this semester was with my descriptive writing skills. Any time I have been faced with a paper that isn’t strictly academic, meaning it requires my voice and perspective to be portrayed vividly. I believe I’ve found difficulty in this due to overthinking and trying to create a unique and using artistically descriptive language. I am a huge fan of fantasy fiction novels, such as Lord of the Rings, which I have read back to back at least five times. I admire and love the descriptive language here and It exceeds the talent of many many writers. I have this desire to be able to describe people places and things in my writing but I am always displeased with my attempts and so I refrain from including descriptive language. This course has forced me to push myself and put forth a greater effort to understand my position in an environment and describe what I see in great detail and then offer my opinion on what I’m seeing. While this challenged me and forced me to step outside of my comfort zone, I have been able to practice and realize that sometimes Its just as simple as stating the obvious. It isn’t wrong to write “There was a sand pit filled with toys of various colors”, like I did in my nanny subculture paper. I do not need to overthink my descriptions and it will help me hone my skills in order to express differently and more artistically in the future. I certainly found a difference while comparing my peer profile with my most recent nanny subculture paper. During the peer profile I did not think I included any descriptive language at all, but in my creative writing and in my subculture paper, I did.